Saturday, August 30, 2014

Introduction: The Isle of Spice


Hi, my name is Veronica Scherbak. I am a junior and a Psychology major at the University of Colorado Denver. Before you ask, no, I cannot read minds, at least not without an MEG.

Since I was four, I have been taking cruises with my family. In December 2013, we took a two week southern Caribbean cruise. During the trip, the cruise ship stopped at a relatively small island, located at the southeastern end of the Caribbean, called Grenada. Also known as "the Isle of Spice", due to it being one of the world's largest exporters of nutmeg and mace crops, it is a beautiful place full of picturesque scenery, sandy beaches and historic sites. I have been cruising since I was four and have gone on many cruises, the majority in the Caribbean. Over all those years, this was the first time one had made port in Grenada. Over the few hours that I spent there, I fell in love with it. I consider it one of my favorite islands of the Caribbean and I would love to go their again! For now, I will satisfy myself by learning more about the island's rich and varied geography. 

I hope you enjoy going along with me on this adventure, across what I consider to be one of the loveliest and most fascinating places in the Caribbean!



This is a photo taken December 2013 from the top of Fort George, one of the historic sites, during my stay in Grenada. In the distance, you can see Mount St. Catherine, the tallest mountain and youngest volcano on the island. Closer up, you get a view of some of the capitol, St. George, and the inner harbor. Also, you get a glimpse of the gorgeous flora found in Grenada.




References:
http://www.grenadagrenadines.com/about-the-islands/discover-grenada/
http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=8268
http://www.grenadaexplorer.com/tip/fort_george/

No comments:

Post a Comment